There are a plethora of caller and breathtaking smartphones that person conscionable travel onto the marketplace (or are astir to), and it wouldn’t beryllium astatine each astonishing to find retired that you are readying to upgrade from your existent phone. Samsung has introduced 2 caller high-end phones, the Galaxy S22 and S22 Plus, that our reviewer Allison Johnson says are the default Android phones to buy. Meanwhile, Google is inactive going beardown (although with occasional glitches) with its latest flagships, the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro.
Whether you privation to spell with Samsung, Google, oregon a antithetic manufacturer, trading successful your aged telephone — oregon selling it — is simply a astute mode to bash that, particularly since determination are those who volition determine alternatively to bargain a lightly utilized telephone from an older procreation that volition suit their needs without breaking the bank.
If you’ve got an older exemplary and are acceptable for an upgrade, present are a fewer steps to instrumentality successful bid to get your instrumentality acceptable to sell, followed by however overmuch currency you tin expect to gain back. We’re going to ore connected Samsung and Google Pixel phones here, but you tin astir apt expect akin results with phones from different vendors.
Inspect your phone
If your aged instrumentality is successful bully condition, you shouldn’t person overmuch of a occupation uncovering a caller owner. As mentioned successful our usher connected selling your iPhone, having a telephone successful bully information is important to uncovering a purchaser who’s consenting to wage apical dollar.
Even if your telephone isn’t successful the champion shape, you should inactive beryllium capable to get something for your trade. Take into information its blemishes, including scratches, dents, cracks, and immoderate different quirks that the adjacent proprietor should cognize about. Be honest, oregon other it volition astir apt travel backmost to wound you.
Erase your phone
There are 3 steps progressive successful securely wiping your Android phone. These steps tin alteration somewhat depending connected whether you person a Samsung, a Pixel, oregon a telephone from different manufacturer.
First, instructions for a Samsung moving Android 11:
- Disable Factory Reset Protection. This diagnostic prevents your telephone from being wiped if it’s stolen. To disable it, each you person to bash is crook disconnected your Screen Lock. (You’ve had your Screen Lock set, right?) Navigate to “Settings” > “Lock Screen ” > “Screen fastener type” and prime “None.”
- Remove your account. Navigate to “Settings” > “Accounts and backup” > “Managed accounts” and pat connected the relationship (or accounts, if you person much than one) that’s listed there. Then pat connected “Remove account.” (Incidentally, if you haven’t backed up your telephone recently, you tin spell to “Accounts and backup” > “Backup” to get that done.)
- Factory reset the phone. The adjacent measurement is to mill reset the telephone to wholly hitch it of each your data. Back astatine the main settings menu, prime “General management” > “Reset” to instrumentality you to the last step. Select “Factory information reset.” You volition get a informing leafage listing the information that volition beryllium erased, immoderate accounts you’re inactive signed into (and you should spell backmost and region them), and which apps volition beryllium removed. Ready? Tap connected “Reset” (you’ll beryllium prompted to enactment successful your Samsung relationship password).
The instructions present are for a Pixel moving Android 12:
- Disable Factory Reset Protection. This diagnostic prevents your telephone from being wiped if it’s stolen. To disable it, each you person to bash is crook disconnected your Screen Lock. (You’ve had your Screen Lock set, right?) Navigate to “Settings” > “Security” > “Screen lock” and prime “None.”
- Remove your account. Using Android 12, erasing your telephone starts with navigating to “Settings” > “Passwords & accounts” and tapping connected the relationship (or accounts, if you person much than one) that’s listed there. Then pat connected “Remove account.” You’ll get a informing pop-up. Tap connected “Remove account” again.
- Factory reset the phone. The adjacent measurement is to mill reset the telephone to wholly hitch it of each your data. Back astatine the main settings menu, prime “System.” If you haven’t backed up your telephone to Google Drive recently, you tin spell to “Backup” and prime “Back up now.” Otherwise, going into “Reset options” volition instrumentality you to the last step. Select “Erase each information (factory reset).” You volition get a informing leafage listing the information that volition beryllium erased, and if you’ve neglected to motion retired of immoderate accounts, it volition beryllium listed determination (and you should spell backmost and region it). Otherwise, pat connected “Erase each data.”
Trade your telephone in?
When you commercialized successful your telephone to a shaper oregon carrier, you whitethorn beryllium trading terms for convenience. It’s up to you which you choose.
At the clip of publish, Samsung says it is offering up to an $850 trade-in “enhanced trade-in credit.” Interestingly, Samsung’s offers thin to beryllium comparatively generous. For example, a Galaxy S9 volition springiness you a recognition of $275, a Galaxy Note 9 goes up to $375, arsenic does a Galaxy S10 Plus, portion if you’re trading successful a Galaxy S20 Ultra, you tin people $825 successful trade.
To trial Google’s trade-in for a Pixel 6, I pretended to person a Pixel 4 XL with 128GB retention that was successful moving information and escaped of cracks, and I was offered $115, portion a Pixel 5a with 128GB brought a punctuation of $150. A Pixel 3 with 128GB retention got maine an connection of $56, and finally, an archetypal unlocked Pixel with 32GB oregon 128GB was worthy a large $25.01.
You whitethorn beryllium capable to get a bully woody with a bearer arsenic agelong arsenic you work the tiny print. For example, arsenic this was being written, Verizon was offering a discount of up to $1,000 connected specific caller phones if you commercialized successful 1 of a agelong database of phones (and perpetrate yourself to its 5G Unlimited plan).
Sell your phone?
As for wherever you tin merchantability your aged phone, Swappa is simply a apical prime with a steadfast assemblage of buyers and sellers. With Swappa, you make a listing on with a price; erstwhile your instrumentality is sold, you person outgo from Swappa and past vessel the telephone straight to the buyer. Swappa charges a interest from the buyer, depending connected the terms of the phone, but you are liable for shipping costs.
Since what you tin get from a tract similar Swappa tin vary, I looked astatine the lowest terms being asked for.
First, Samsung. Someone selling a Galaxy S9 successful just information with 64GB was asking a debased terms of $114; a Galaxy Note 9 rated a debased terms of $200; a Galaxy S10 Plus bottomed retired astatine $206, portion a Galaxy S20 5G started astatine $215.
Meanwhile, an archetypal Pixel XL with 32GB of retention brought a debased asking terms of $76, portion an unlocked Pixel 2 with 64GB rated a debased terms of $52; the 2 XL mentation was quoted with a debased terms of $62. An unlocked Pixel 3 with 64GB successful bully information had a debased terms of $71; the 3 XL mentation successful bully information brought a debased selling terms of $73. Finally, you could people a Pixel 4 XL successful just information with 64GB for $160.
There are, of course, different sites wherever you tin merchantability your phones.
Decluttr buys the telephone from you and past resells it. The institution gives you a terms online; you past vessel your telephone to Decluttr wrong 28 days. The telephone volition beryllium inspected; if determination are issues, you volition beryllium offered a revised terms which you volition person 14 days to judge oregon decline.
Gazelle works successful overmuch the aforesaid way: the institution gives you a terms online, and you past vessel your telephone to Gazelle wrong 30 days. The telephone volition beryllium inspected; if determination are issues, you volition beryllium offered a revised price.
Best Buy lets you either message successful your telephone oregon bring it to your nearest Best Buy retail store; either way, you tin commercialized it successful for an e-gift card.
Flipsy deals with a assortment of retail sites; it volition fto you cognize what vendors connection however much, and past you get 14 days to vessel the device. The vendor pays for shipping. If the vendor doesn’t hold with your assessment, they volition nonstop a revised offer; since each vendor has its ain instrumentality policies, it’s a bully thought to cheque earlier you ship.
And, of course, there’s eBay. Selling present tin beryllium a spot complicated, but basically, you get up to 250 listings for escaped each month; erstwhile you merchantability your item, determination is simply a 12.9 percent interest for items up to a last worth interest of $7,500 positive a $0.35 transaction fee.
Whether you usage 1 of the resources listed present to marque up the outgo of a caller Google Pixel 6 oregon determine that the convenience of trading successful the telephone is worthy the other bucks is up to you.
Update March 14th, 2022, 2:24PM ET: This nonfiction was primitively published connected September 11th, 2021, and has been updated to bespeak changes successful prices and telephone models.